Tuesday, September 2, 2008

FOOD AND SUPPLIES

A. My plan is to eat approximately two pounds of food a day. Research has revealed that the packaged dehydrated meals are not the best method of nourishment while hiking. Rather items such as protein bars, peanut butter, dried fruits, rice, oats, corn meal, cream of wheat, dehydrated vegetables and bagged meats like tuna and chicken are wiser choices. I will restock seven days worth of food at one time, 14 pounds at the beginning of each week. During the colder seasons I will be carrying two and a half pounds of food per day. Re-supply points are typically three to five days apart.

B. There are many streams and springs listed in trail maps that have safe water to drink and do not run the risk of being polluted. All drinking/cooking water has to be boiled for at least five minutes before use. All water replenished during the day will be treated with iodine tablets for one hour to kill bacteria.

C. Prearranged friends and family will meet me at different points along the trail or will mail packages to me at local post offices to help me re-supply. I will be receiving tracts, Our Daily Bread and pocket New Testaments along with other supplies from these supporters. This will help to keep down the cost of re-supplying in towns and I will be able to check in with people face to face.

No comments: